Shinto ('the way of the gods') is the indigenous religion of Japan. It is still very popular and culturally integrated; especially with Buddhism.
(All links tested August 2012)
MISSIONS & EVANGELISM
INTERNET EVANGELISM has a stunning section devoted to Japan, with many very useful links.
The following are specific missionary organisations to Japan:
CHRISTIAN ARTICLES & SITES ABOUT SHINTO
1. SHINTO, "THE WAY OF THE GODS," OR JESUS CHRIST, GOD’S "WAY"? by Richard S. Lofgren (pdf)
2. Josh McDowell discusses Shinto.
3. What is Shintoism? from Got Questions honours Jesus.
4. Shinto by International Students, Inc. (pdf)
GENERAL WEBSITES - Use with discernment.
Religious Tolerance Providing links to related sites and features information about Shinto beliefs and practices.
Shinto Concepts is a beginner's guide to Shinto
Shinto is a good summary from Kids.Net.Au
DVD/VIDEO: "Spirited Away" - The first Japanese anime film to win an Oscar.
A Study Guide (pdf) highlights many aspects from the film.
Responses from Christians can be found at Christian Answers;
Wikipedia is well worth the look - a lot of links as well!
Shinto Shrines (Japan Guide)
Shinto Shrines (BBC)
What is Shinto? (Layout - more detailed)
The Shinto Shrine (information on what is expected at the shrine by the adherant)
1. What is Shintoism? (9 minute video). Read Romans 1: 18 - 23.
2. Christian Responses to Japanese Religions.
3. Japanese Mythology (Creation of Japan)
SHINTO: Part 1
SHINTO: Part 2
(HSC Studies of Religion students may find page this helpful).
DISCLAIMER: 'CHRISTIAN FAITH' does not endorse all content found within the 3rd party websites mentioned above. They are listed for research purposes only and are active URLs at the time of publishing. We advise discernment. Please report dead links.